Supplements Good for Hair Growth
Thinning hair can be a serious concern for many people. What they maybe don’t realise is that poor diet can be a factor that is affecting their hair. If you are not getting enough of the right vitamins and minerals then you could be at risk of suffering hair loss. Here is a roundup of some of the best vitamins and nutrients to support normal and healthy hair growth…
- B Vitamins - Vitamins commonly associated with hair growth are the B vitamins, specifically Biotin (also known as Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H). Biotin deficiency has been linked with symptoms that include hair loss¹. B vitamins are water soluble so are not stored in the body and need to be replenished on a daily basis through our diet. The B vitamins help to create red blood cells which carry oxygen and nutrients to the scalp and the hair follicles, important for hair growth. Good food sources of B Vitamins include: Wholegrains, meat, eggs and leafy green veg. If you are considering a supplement to meet your daily needs - Hellenia Vitamin B Complex are a one-a-day tablet formula, which contains 50% of the recommended daily allowance of Biotin.
- Vitamin C – Also known as the antioxidant vitamin. Vitamin C helps to protect against oxidative stress caused by free radicals, which can lead to decreased production and ageing of the hair². Our bodies also need Vitamin C to make collagen, which is a protein that is an important part of the hair structure. It is also essential to help your gut to absorb the mineral iron. Iron is needed by the red blood cells to make haemoglobin vital for carrying oxygen round the body. Low iron levels are commonly linked to hair loss. It is recommended to have Vitamin C alongside consuming your iron-containing foods, to help you to better absorb the iron from the food. Strawberries, peppers and citrus fruit are good vitamin C sources. If you are considering a supplement form try Hellenia Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids capsules containing 500mg of Vitamin C in one capsule, which is 625% of your recommended daily intake.
- Vitamin D – The ‘sunshine’ vitamin, the vast majority of our Vitamin D is synthesised in our skin from exposure to sunlight. It is also found in some foods like oily fish, eggs and mushrooms. Vitamin D is said to stimulate hair follicles. Low levels of vitamin D have been linked with alopecia, a type of hair loss³. Particularly during the autumn and winter months many of us can struggle to get enough of this Vitamin. The government recommends that everyone takes a supplement containing 10mcg during this period. Hellenia’s Vitamin D3 25mcg (1000IU) capsules are more than adequate to ensure you are meeting your daily needs.
- Zinc – This is an essential mineral that you need to consume in your daily diet as it can’t be made by the body. A common symptom of Zinc deficiency is hair loss. It plays an important role in hair tissue growth and repair. The main dietary sources of Zinc are high protein foods such as meat and fish, so vegetarians and vegans may need to consider a supplemental source. Hellenia Zinc 25mg tablets are a one a day formula that contains 250% of your recommended daily allowance.
- Protein – Adequate protein intake is important in the diet because it is necessary for the growth of all cells, and this includes our hair. Consuming enough protein is important for healthy, strong hair that is less prone to breakage. Protein is made up of amino acids that helps the body to produce Keratin, which is fundamental to the hair structure. Amino acids are found in protein-rich foods like meat, eggs, and dairy products. For those that struggle to consume enough protein, powders are a convenient way to increase your daily intake easily. Whey is the purest form of protein. The Native Whey Protein boasts 94% protein content.
- Selenium – This essential trace mineral is vital for its antioxidant properties. Found in foods such as Brazil nuts, bread, tuna, poultry, beef and eggs. It is important for hair health because free radicals can contribute to damage that weakens hair follicles. It is also essential for thyroid support and the production of hormones that help to regulate hair growth. Hellenia’s antioxidant formula provides 200mcg of Selenium with other important elements including Vitamins A, C, E, Zinc and Copper, combined into one easy to take tablet.
- Naticol® ProDerma – A key product in the Hellenia collagen series, which comes in a delicious berry flavour. As well as a high purity degree of collagen protein, which is an excellent source of amino acids, ProDerma has the addition of Cynatine® HNS, a revolutionary cosmeceutical ingredient comprised of Solubilized Keratin, which is the key protein forming the structure of hair. Solubilized keratin contains highly bioavailable protein-forming building blocks, including sulphur-containing amino acids, to replace keratin that is lost in the ageing process, delivering high-quality keratin proteins directly to the cells that help form hair, nails, and skin. Cynatine® HNS is able to bond with hair in the body and has been shown to reduce hair loss from washing, as well as improving hair strength and the brightness and lustre of hair.
- Omega fatty acids – These are an important and beneficial type of fat. As they are not produced in the body, they need to be consumed through your diet. Fish oils are a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids which provide necessary oils to keep the scalp healthy and hydrated for healthy hair growth. If you are a vegan, a good alternative source of omega 3 is flaxseed oil.
- Haircare Plus with Anagain™ - HairCare Plus contains one main active ingredient - AnaGain™, alongside other ingredients which can help with hair growth and health such as: Bamboo Extract, N-Acetyl-L Cysteine, MSM, Cynatine (keratin), Ashwagandha, Moringa, Nicotinamide Vitamin B3, Resveratrol, Vitamin C, Zinc Glycinate, Vitamin B6, Copper and Biotin. AnaGain™ has been researched and developed to combat hair loss and promote hair growth, for fuller and thicker hair. It is a plant source ingredient based on young organic pea sprouts with a significantly high concentration of phytonutrients; many of which are known to exert beneficial effects on human health, or play an active role in fighting diseases, such as with the exertion of antioxidant activity. A clinical trial studying the gene expression profiles in hair follicles, showed that the treatment with an extract of pea sprouts had a stimulatory effect on hair growth. Formulated in a convenient and no-fuss capsule, haircare plus makes an easy addition to your normal daily diet, requiring just 2 a day to glean results.
In general the best source of vitamins and minerals needed for healthy hair growth are from your food, by consuming a varied and balanced diet containing lots of nutrient dense sources. However when this is not possible, perhaps due to hectic lifestyles or restrictive diets, then supplements can prove really beneficial.
As always with any new supplement it is advisable to consult with your doctor or a health care professional before introducing it to your diet.
For further product information and to browse our other available vitamins, minerals and health food supplements visit www.hellenia.co.uk
The quality of our sleep can affect our health and wellbeing - mentally, emotionally and physically. Good quality sleep and improved sleep patterns can help us to avoid fatigue, manage stress and boost our focus throughout the day.
We all need sleep for repair and recovery, to