Top 5 Supplements to keep you healthy throughout the autumn months
As the summer fades and the season for cold and flu approaches, the autumn is a perfect time to assess our health and think about what we can do to help keep ourselves fit and well.
A good place to start is a review of your supplements regime. There are some in particular that are ideally suited to the autumn months, when it is the time to consider whether your immune system needs supporting. As the temperature turns cooler and the nights grow longer it is important to try and keep ourselves in peak condition and in preparation for the winter; if your defences aren’t strong then you won’t be able to fight off those bugs. Here is our pick of some effective supplements you might consider including with your routine to keep you healthy this season.
1) Pycnogenol® Tablets – A patented natural plant extract from the bark of the Maritime pine tree which grows along the South West coast of France. Pycnogenol® has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Antioxidants are important because they scavenge damaging free radicals that can otherwise oxidize cells and harm the body leading to disease.
Studies have shown that it is also good for improving blood flow and promoting better circulation as it enhances the production of endothelial nitric oxide which dilates the blood vessels; essential for a healthy cardiovascular system.
2) Garlic Tablets – Garlic as a supplement is popular worldwide, and has been used for health for thousands of years. It was consumed by the ancient Greeks and Roman soldiers.
Garlic is a member of the onion family and contains sulphur compounds which are known for their health benefits – the most famous of these is called allicin.
Garlic supplements are said to help maintain a healthy heart and circulation, as well as to boost the immune system with one study showing that it may reduce the number or severity of illnesses such as the common cold.
3) Vitamin C – Vitamin C is widely known as an antioxidant vitamin, helping to protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals. Far from being a cure for the common cold Vitamin C does support the immune system and so may reduce the risk of further complications and shorten symptoms. It is also used by the body to make collagen which is used for wound healing, and also helps with the absorption of iron which is needed to transport oxygen in the body and avoid fatigue.
Vitamin C is not stored in the body and so any excess is excreted which is why a daily supplement of this vitamin can prove a valuable addition to your diet. Our 500mg Vitamin C tablets also contain Bioflavonoids; a class of antioxidants that work to enhance the action of Vitamin C.
4) Vitamin D3 – Vitamin D is found in small quantities naturally in food such as salmon, mackerel, eggs and milk, but the body can only synthesise Vitamin D in the skin when there is adequate sun exposure. With the autumn comes reduced hours of daylight, and less opportunity to spend time outdoors, this is why it is often recommended for people to take a supplement in order to obtain the minimum recommended daily intake of 10 micrograms.
D3 helps the body to absorb calcium for the maintenance of normal teeth and bones, and contributes to normal muscle function, as well as helping to regulate the immune system.
Research also suggests this so called ‘sunshine vitamin’ may play an important role in regulating mood and warding off depression. This is welcome news as many people can be more predisposed to feeling low in the colder, darker months of the year.
5) Cranberry Fruit Complex – Our fruit complex has been formulated for the antioxidant properties of its ingredients, and contain cranberry, bilberry, blueberry and elderberry.
They are rich in a beneficial type of flavonoid called Anthocyanins that are found abundantly in a number of purple, blue and red berries – offering antioxidant activity that may boost the immune system, boost health and prevent disease. Amongst other things Cranberries are also widely recommended for maintaining a healthy urinary tract.
So with the winter fast approaching and the cold-weather ailments bound to be on their way, there is plenty that can be done to prepare your body for the months ahead. For further products and product information visit our website today.